History of The Institution
Télé Lumière as its name indicates means the "TV of Light". It is the first and only Christian television in Lebanon and the Middle East and was founded in 1991 by a group of committed lay people:
- Late Charles Helou (President of Lebanon)
- Brother Nour
- Jack Kallassi
- Late George Frem (ex. MP and minister)
- George Moawad
- Rola and Sana Nassar
- Dr. Antoine Saad
- Christiane Debbaneh
Télé Lumière is a non-profit organization, its mission is ecumenical, it is not associated to any political party or movement, does not broadcast any political views and does not accept or promote any commercial endorsements. As a non profit broadcasting station, it has no lucrative purposes and survives only from various donations given by its supporters and friends.
The Church cooperated with this television station since the beginning when she found it one of the best means to promote the principles of justice, love, freedom and human rights; values called for by Christianity everywhere.
Télé Lumière is supervised by the Assembly of Catholic Patriarchs and Bishops in Lebanon and directed by a committee involving religious leaders from various denominations and a group of laity eager to support this distinguished project. The relationship between the Church and Télé Lumière is organized through a "cooperation protocol".
As for the Government, it considers Télé Lumière, through the Assembly of Catholic Patriarchs and Bishops in Lebanon, a Christian station, financially independent and having freedom of management and programming controlled only by the authority of the Church. In June 2003, on Pentecost, Télé Lumière celebrated its 12th anniversary as well as the launching of its satellite station Noursat covering Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. One year later, on September8th, 2004, Noursat began its official broadcast in North and South America, Canada and Australia.
While many TV channels have become event-oriented, either focusing on terrorism, political turmoil and fanaticism, or are limited to amusement and scandals, the openness strategy of Télé Lumière and Noursat, promoting multi-cultural understanding and religious dialogue, have encouraged a large amount of Muslim viewers to watch and participate in the campaigns and programs strengthening peace, targeting coexistence and opposing immorality, violence and terrorism.
After all these years of broadcast, Télé Lumière and Noursat have become a daily bread and hope for the Christian minority in the Middle East and the diaspora as well as a source of peace for many viewers from different denominations.
Goals and Visions
Since its beginning, Télé Lumière has set clear goals that could be summarized as follows:
- A commitment to the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Church, respecting other religious beliefs and getting to know and love them in order to work together for the dignity and worth of the human person.
- Reaffirm the faith in Peace and Human Rights in harmony with the values mentioned in the Charter of the United Nations.
- Allowing for the possibility of different races and creeds to gather through a free dialogue to exchange views and experiences and to confront daily problems in all their complexities.
- Spreading true knowledge as a means of human progress, through rejection of racism and openness to others in ways of thinking, acting and ways of life and by encouraging creativity in the various fields of science and arts.
- A respect for all spiritual and worldly authorities as persons and symbols.
- A respect of all laws and regulations.
- A refusal of presenting or marketing political news.
Our officesTele Lumiere's New Office in Marjehyoun and the South
For its mission is spreading the Good News all over the world, Tele Lumiere launched on October 1st, coinciding with the feast of St Theresa of the Child Jesus and a week after the historic visit of Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai to the South, its new office at Jdeidet Marjehyoun and the South, within the framework of the joy festival: “My Only Peace, You My Lord" revived by the Singer Joumana Mdawar at Jdeidet Marjehyoun public heritage square, facing the new center.
"It is a beacon of light and creativity, place of meeting and communication, of dialogue and interaction in order to enhance the cultural and intellectual exchange and permanent giving", the Center's Director Journalist Maya el-Achi stated. "This project aims to promote competences to preserve this diversity, integration and unity, to be firm in love and the path of good, truth and peace."
The ceremony presented by our colleague Roula Elia was attended by the Mayor's Vice-President Sary Ghelmye, members of the municipal and optional board, the shepherds of Marjehyoun Diocese Bishop Elias Kfoury and Bishop George Haddad, commanders of UNIFIL Army deployed in the region, religious and social figures in addition to crowds of the region's inhabitants.Tasks of the Center
- Effective, free and responsible presence
- Information about the people's real situation
- Close Communication with people
- Feeling the people's needs and protests
- Media mobilization
- Resolving conflicts
- Promoting coexistence
- Providing opportunities for gathering
- Helping the minorities to be deep-rooted in their land
- Supporting their stances
- Working on restoring their rights
- Stimulating the wills for the good management of their affairs
- Generalizing formation based on values, good examples and ethics
- Developing human, social and health projects
- Finding job, coordination and guide opportunities
- Selecting certificate, talented and creative employees
Tele Lumiere, the 1st TV station opening an office in Akkar
With Joumana Mdawar singing with her angelic voice and Fr. Roukoz Abou Zeid, Tele Lumiere inaugurated its new office in Sheikh Mohammad Village, Akkar on December 4, 2010 at St Maron Church- Andtkit. The attendance included Tripoli Maronite Bishop George Abou Jaoudé, the deputies there in addition to diplomatic, spiritual and social figures, Tele Lumiere's family topped by the Office Spiritual Supervisor the Carmelite Fr. Michel Abboud who made a meditation on the occasion.
The welcoming speech was delivered by the Office Administrative Responsible Anisa Halloun Suleiman who mentioned the TV's principles: Charity, reconciliation, peace, dialogue, growth and knowledge, Tele Lumiere's principles since 20 years and Noursat spread them to the entire world since 7 years. It is the TV station adopted by the Church in Lebanon and all over the world through the last Synod's recommendations held in the Vatican". Suleiman affirmed as well that "this office will be a new platform for all locals and a permanent way of communication with all viewers in Lebanon and all over the world."
The Information Responsible Journalist Lea Adel Meamary stated that "Tele Lumiere is the 1st TV station opening an office in Akkar to serve the human being, society and the homeland and it will seek also to promote peace and create opportunities to gather people of different beliefs." She considered that the office will focus through its programs on sublime arts, will organize great concerts, broadcast ceremonies and activities and will attach great importance to the human and social matters. In addition, documentaries about the churches and mosques in all Akkar's areas will be produced and the national occasions will be covered.
Tele Lumiere inaugurates its new office at the Bride of Bekaa: Zahlé
Never limited to a place, and aiming to reach every home looking for the Light in Lebanon and all over the world, Tele Lumiere is born again in its homeland Lebanon and this time in the Bride of Bekaa, Zahlé. Sunday 23rd January 2011, the Bishops of Zahlé and Bekaa inaugurated Tele Lumiere's new office in the Charitable Catholic Association, el- Midan. The attendance included: Zahlé Roman Melkite Bishop André Haddad, Zahlé Greek Orthodox Metropolitan Spyridon Khoury, Syriac Orthodox Bishop Boulos Safar, Zahlé Maronite Bishop Mansour Hobeika and Bishop George Iskandar. The participants in this event were also the Tele Lumiere's family topped by its General Secretary Antoine Saad, the Programs Director Marie-Therese Kreidy, Deputy Shant Janjanian, the President of the Catholic Charitable Association Lawyer Aziz Abou Zeid, Youssef Karouni the representative of the former Minister Elie Scaff, Elias Machaalani the representative of Zahlé Municipal Head Architect Joseph el-Maalouf, a group of priests, nuns and friends.
On this occasion, the Head of the new office Shafika Kassis, Bishop André Haddad and the General Secretary Antoine Saad delivered impressive speeches expressing their joy for Tele Lumiere's presence in Zahlé to broadcast the city's activities. This "ecumenical TV station", as Saad described it, "spreads the sparkle of true unity in the hearts of Christians throughout our homeland… and all countries."
At the end, everybody celebrated the office's opening and participated in the Closing Unity Prayer Week at Our Lady of Zahlé and Bekaa Sanctuary.
Board of Directors
- البطريرك الماروني بشارة بطرس الراعيرئيس فخري
- المطران رولان أبو جودةرئيس مجلس الإدارة
- المطران أنطوان نبيل العندارينائب ثانٍ للرئيس
- أنطوان ديبالارشمندريت
- السيد جاك الكلاسيمدير عام
- المهندس نعمت افرامنائب أول للرئيس
- الدكتور أنطوان سعدأمين سر
- السيد جورج معوضعضو
- السيدة رلى نصارمديرة مالية
- السيدة سناء نصارعضو
- المهندس ريمون ناضرعضو / مدير تنفيذي
- سركيس سركيسعضو
- عبود بوغوصعضو
- كريم عبداللهعضو
- الأخ نورعضو
- Marie-therese KreidyProgramming Manager
- Raymond NaderExecutive Director of Noursat
- Edmond SaadeProduction Manager
- Samer Abou-ArrajFundraising Manager
History of FTLFrom the beginning till today
The idea of starting the Friends of Télé Lumière came at the very beginning, since it was decided that the station would rely on donations, thereby avoiding any commercial activity in order to preserve its missionary dimension. As Télé Lumière grew considerably starting from 1996, so did its financial liabilities and expenses. Organizing the collection of donations became a necessity.
The association of Friends of Télé Lumière (FTL) came to light officially on July 27, 1997. Strict rules and a central committee that reports directly to the board of the Assembly of the Sons of the Church were established. Appointing volunteers to collect donations from various Churches and civil institutions started immediately.
Since 2001, FTL network has begun expanding in the United States, Australia, Mexico and in different European countries (France, United Kingdom…) and Arab countries (Syria, Jordan, Kuweit…)
At the beginning of 2002, in order to expand and facilitate the operations, international boards and regional offices were established in different countries, taking into consideration the Eparchies division and geographical distribution of the Churches.
FTL is, first and foremost, a community of prayer which believes in Télé Lumière and Noursat mission as an integral part of the Church's mission. Each Friend of Télé Lumière and Noursat should be confident that with his/her humble support, he/she is participating in spreading the Word of God, promoting the civilization of love and raise a new human being and a good citizen.
Télé Lumière and Noursat remain dependent on the "widow's might" sent from hearts filled with faith, hope and love, so that a beam of light is transmitted back from the holy land of Lebanon to the whole world.
Goals and Visions
Become a friend and a supporter!!! A lot of you are asking what kind of support they can bring to Télé Lumière and Noursat and how they can help in the growth and development of this station.
First, you can do so by supporting us financially. The most important is that your commitment to donate is permanent (monthly or yearly donation), regardless of the amount. That could be done by joining the FTL family.
Second, if you have some free time (few hours per month) you can become our delegate/correspondent in your parish, area, country, place of work...
Honorary members: After Télé Lumière and Noursat have proven themselves as a need for the Church to spread the message of love, peace and gathering, particularly to bring together the struggling Christians of the Middle East and their beloved ones in the Diaspora; And since this missionary station is threatened in its survival, as a result of the growing financial burdens, exceeding US DOLLARS 5 MILLION per year, commensurate with the sizable growth, especially in satellite broadcasting; It was decided to invite the potent supporters and friends to share this burden to the tune of not less than US DOLLARS 5 THOUSAND per single annual contribution. Hoping for the positive response of around 1000 PERSONS to cover the 5 million US dollars annual cost. An "Honorary Member" certificate will be issued to each one of those contributors.Delegate / correspondent Do you have some free time?
Have you ever thought of participating in the modern evangelization?
Why not joining our delegates/correspondents team?
By joining in, you will be assigned to:
- A parish or diocese in agreement with the local church.
- A company or association.
- An area, city, country...
- Promoting Télé Lumière/Noursat and its programs all around you, among parents, friends, colleagues...
- Be a correspondent to our station by covering the news and events in your assigned area/institution.
- Contribute in building the FTL network by recruiting new friends (donors) and collecting their monthly/yearly donations (in places where on-line donation and bank transfer are not possible), using numbered coupons or sealed formal receipts, regardless of the donation amount.
- Participate in organizing fundraisers and taking up the collection in special occasions.
If you wish to volunteer as a delegate in this apostolic activity in your parish in your area or in your organization... Please contact us as soon as possible.
Other activities Besides collecting donations and contributions, Friends of Télé Lumière organizes various lucrative activities, to the benefit of Télé Lumière and Noursat at a regional, national and international level such as:
- Lucrative exhibitions (religious souvenirs, books...)
- fundraisers and receptions attended by Télé Lumière and Noursat friends and supporters.
- Bookstores: FTL founded 2 bookstores, one in Antelias (5 km north of Beirut) in 2002 and a second one "Al Kalima" in Télé Lumière head office in Dora-Beirut in 2004, to make available all types of spiritual books, icons, rosaries, medals, original relics, souvenirs and religious audio tapes/cd.
In a word, everything that helps in prayer and spiritual growth. Video copies of Télé Lumière and Noursat programs and films are made available to all viewers, researchers and spiritual pilgrims.
The Holy Spirit Center for Missions
The Center ensures human social and medical services, was founded by Brother Nour in 1986 to assist whoever needs help without any discrimination based on color, religion or identity and is located in Zouk Mikael, Merhej Building.
In its beginnings, it was supervised and managed by Br. Nour and a group of volunteers.
Each one of them has a special task. Some are part of the management team; others work in the field and especially during the last years of war.
- Ensuring supplies for clinics, following up and providing them with all their requisites.
- Visiting and helping the displaced people, providing them with food and necessities.
- Distribution of medicines and clothes.
Nowadays the center takes care of the following issues:
First: Visiting the elderly people and providing them with medicines, food and life assistance.
Second: Ensuring milk and diapers monthly for the children in need.
- Receiving clothes for all ages and categories; sorting, packing and distributing clothes daily for whoever comes to the center asking for help.
- Receiving job applications for those registered with us asking for job opportunities.
- Distributing packed shares of food twice a year, in addition to financial aids when benefactors are ready.
- Offering social and urgent services including aids, instructions and orienting the required needs to the specialized associations, institutions and schools especially the girls, women with special conditions, the children needing specialized schools and the elderly needing a home.
- Hospital services: with the cooperation of a group of physicians offering free examination, laboratories making semi-free tests and hospitals facilitating the administrative transactions and making the possible cost reduction to our brothers, the patients.
- The center has medical supplies such as: Stretcher Chairs, Medical mobile beds, walkers... and they are borrowed in urgencies.
- Blood donation in urgent cases.
This association aimed at reducing the suffering of the poor.
For More information please contact Mme Laudy Saadeh 09-215636
The Light of the World Association
The Association was established in February 28th, 2004 at Dora, Tabbara Building- 6th floor.The association aims at:
- Serving the Christian media mission.
- Supporting the Christian media path.
- Transmitting the Christian media mission through all media means.
- Establishing an interfaith dialogue and openness to all religions.
- Supporting the developmental projects through media coverage.
- Making awareness conferences and symposiums in addition to media campaigns.
The achievements fulfilled by the association include the equipment of a pharmacy, dental and medical clinics.
The medical clinic receives patients on a daily basis from 8ham till 2hpm and ensures clinical examination and diagnosis, lab tests, and medicines that are granted by the Ministry of Health for free and that are unavailable at nominal prices.
On the human level, the Light of the World Association has documents of families for whoever visits the dispensary for medical services, allowing the poor families to benefit from regular food aids according to the association's available grants.
The Children of the Church Group
The group was founded in the beginning of the 1980s by Br. Nour, and a group of intellectuals and volunteers. At that time, it was called the Children of the Church Group to preserve morals, believing in the following quote: "No morals, no nations".
Thus, this group aims at saving some concepts and values that began to disappear during the war, considering morals the only way to save humanity and then the homelands. The group claimed the Human Rights through intellectual activities such as conventions and symposiums asking for the triumph of truth, values and renouncing violence notably the Convention of Our Lady of the Well and others.
In parallel to the cultural, intellectual and educational issues, the group believed that it is important to discuss the causes and resolve them. You can't contribute to the intellectual growth of the hungry and dictate your theories to the needy people. First, consider deeply the human cause and search for solutions through human acts.
In June 16th 1993, the group became the official association "the Children of the Church Group" in Dora - Beirut.Its activities include nowadays:
- A restaurant providing food for the poor.
- A club receiving the elderly and providing them with entertainment and good fellowship.
It has an apostolic, human, educational goal through:
- Spreading the Word of God, the celestial teachings calling to know, love and serve God.
- Boosting the interfaith dialogue and among the spiritual families in the Lebanon.
- Generalizing the sublime values such as forgiveness, tolerance, openness and promoting fraternity and solidarity among people.
- Applying these values though pastoral, social, cultural, educational and health activities held or supported by the association.
- Calling all citizens to share these values with the group's members through different media means that the association may own or adopt according to the provisions and systems and through other ways of communications such as encounters, newscasts, symposiums, seminars, and conferences, etc.
- Cooperating with the spiritual leaders and the ecclesiastical and civil authorities in order to achieve the required mission to serve people with comprehensive human charity.
For more information please contact Mr. Samer About Arraj 01-240280 or 01-240290
Joy of Heaven Association
Drug addiction becomes nowadays a dangerous phenomenon because of world, regional and local conditions. Besides, a new and quick development took place during the last years. This phenomenon has been spread among all categories and also among different ages.
What is new also is the increasing drug crimes either taking or promoting drugs among women and children as well. It has been noticed that the addicted or user of narcotic substances begins to take drugs at a lower age, less than 9 years old making risky the life of children.
A study on the addicted in the treatment centers revealed that the addiction phenomenon's expansion is very hard to identify because of its privacy. Addiction affects those under 20, and the youth ranging between 20 and 40 years old and is spread among those making handicrafts, working in the services sector, drivers and students.
Thus "Joy of Heaven" Association was established in Moaysra- Nahr Ibrahim and aims to: help the addicted, neglected and suffering youth, the disabled, the elderly people, the prisoners and the minor beggars to get out of Satan's trap, perceive the light of God and regain their natural and social life.
Faith, love, mercy and justice are the main rules of all rehabilitation and service stages. Living within the community for a period of time aims mainly to overcome problems especially addiction. Nothing is impossible when there are good will and firm determination.
Therefore, the beginning was with the Village of Man" Center which objectives consist of awareness and rehabilitation of the drug addicted. All started with a small tent at Moaysra- Nahr Ibrahim on February 17th, 2008 with one addicted.
The association was notified in March 27th 2008 and our family grew. Beginning in a small tent, we have today several homes thanks to the faith of the association's founders and benefactors. We have received till date about 215 persons in the center. Some were graduated after completing the whole program, others left without finishing it and the rest of them are still subjected to treatment. The center was inaugurated under the auspices of the Lebanese President General Michel Suleiman in the World Day against Drug Addiction in June 26th 2008.Length of Treatment
The treatment lasts 12 months that can be prolonged according to the response of the young addicted to the program We count first on faith, love, sacrifice, prayer, acceptance of others, mortification, service and work. Certainly time is not the only factor taken into consideration but there are also the progress of the addicted in the process of rehabilitation and the evaluation of the work team.Activities
Prayers, masses, adoration, spiritual gatherings, weekly rehabilitation meetings, sports, music, painting, reading, viewing cultural and entertaining films, work in farming, in addition to various entertaining activities (camps, theatre, cinema).
For More information please contact Father Majdi Allawi 03-127347